How Equalities changed my childrens stories



( pic copyright Hana Patel age 8)

Twelve years ago, I was asked to transfer from working for a local authority into the Equalities arena. At the time I was quite green and though I lived in a way in which I thought was within the remits of being Equality conscious I was surprised and the knowledge  i gained made me even question myself to a large degree. 

When my children were very young I used to make up stories about an old wizard (way before a certain Mr Potter) called Whiggery Whiggery Doo. He lives on a planet called Bongo. Every night was a different story that went on for years and occasionally, I still to this day add chapters for my 27 year old daughter to lighten her life or try to impart knowledge. Luckily for me I can start again for my beautiful grandson. No spoilers as you will have to wait for the children’s book I will get round to writing one day.

These stories, when I learnt more about the purpose of Equalities had to be changed. The original ending or outcome did not fit in with my new learnt knowledge. I had to move my ethos from what seemed right or what I thought was right, to what should in reality be happening according to the legislation and purpose of Equalities.

The big change I had to make was in my thinking, something that I had believed due to my Asian background and disabilities, which I thought was true was no longer so. It really shook me and definitely took much pondering and time to embed. 

The actual change is subtle but huge, and like most things caused by the usage of common words in this instance the word Equality ie Equals or the same as. However, in the context of Equalities Act it does not mean that. It means to treat someone less favourably than another. Not the same. Sometimes this means that you may have to treat someone better at times to bring them up to your level of living. 

For example; think of a building which has a flight of steps to get into it. It is the same for all, so everyone is being treated the same right. So what about people with disabilities, mothers with pushchairs or elderly people who struggle with stairs? When you look at it it from there perspective it is not equal as they do not have access to the building. In order to deal with this issue you have to as the Equality Act stipulates in order not to discriminate (treat them less favourably) against them you may have to build a ramp. Now everyone has Equal access to the building. In some cases like the building of the ramp (doing more than necessary is required to make it equal).

One note, if you think contrary to popular belief that you cannot treat disabled people better have a look at section 13 (3) of the Act. Doing so is not discriminatory, and in order to give people the chances that others have, you may have to.

So how did this change my children's story, exactly in the same way. I had written it so in my view the people in the end were to be treated the same, when in essence the treatment of a person should be dependant on their needs. If you want to know more and read the story all I can tell you at this stage is that there are people with ekh pug (one leg) and tor pug (three legs), to work out what that is all about join me in my adventures on Bongo.

Sometimes with insight or new information we have to learn to adapt and change, it is never easy. My long held deep beliefs and upbringing can and did have a very strong hold. However when you learn of new truths, we must be ready to learn and adapt ourselves to ensure we put things in to practise. It is not easy but with practise, thought and a bit of effort it can be done. Such insights and change can bring about clarification and even make your beliefs stronger. 

Comments

Popular Posts