Why to the truth?




We often tend to overlook what the younger generation can teach us. It is too easy to say I'm older, I've studied more, I have a higher qualification, more experience. But the older we get we can also be less searching or exploring our curiosity and achieve a real in-depth search for the real answers to questions.

Most parents will at one time or another have faced this scenario. Both of my boys did this to me before they were walking without really seeing each other do it. When being put to bed and as inevitably you can imagine the scenario you say “so time for bed”, and they come up with "Why”?  

It is so easy to just say because I say so. I've always made it a rule, that if my kids asked me something I would try and answer it as best as possible. So the first response as usual is fired of the hip without thinking. "Because it's dark". But what does that mean to a two year old? Light and dark is that a concept they understand? Probably not the best answer and therefore with a quizzical face I get big brown eyes looking up at me and I hear "but why"? 

Hum going to have to think of a better answer. So I say with a little thought "When it gets dark people go to sleep and when it's light people wake up and do things”. So take that you little clever clogs my mind responds silently. Now the two year old is sat looking at me   with a strange look of deep thought and after a while I hear “but dad why”? 

Oh ok me thinks, and came up with "the world works on the principle of when it's dark because we can't see and might bump in to things we take care by going to sleep and conserving our energy".  “When its light as you can see the dangers around you it is the best time after you've rested to get things done. "

As any parent knows sometimes children can’t be explained to and seeing his cheeky grin and hearing him say "why”?  Again with a twinkle in his eye I could see that he was being cheeky and wasn't bothered about the answer. 

However it did teach me something profound. That interaction led me to understand that sometimes when we say or do something are we honestly giving an answer that fully explains the reasoning behind it? Does it lead to a truth? Or is there a better answer to be found just by going a little deeper.  Perhaps we all just need to search a bit more. 

By asking ourselves why? And not stopping at the first answer but to repeat the question a number of times. Each time delving deeper in to our understanding and hopefully finding the real reason behind our initial thoughts. There are even times when I've not been able to answer why at the second third or more time. This then leads me to think and research for the answer more thoroughly or to check my reasoning. After all why not?

Comments

Popular Posts