When your Heros fall




When your Hero's fall.

Most people will have some form of hero’s in their life. Some may be fictional others may be real. For me my hero is very real.

People who know me know that I follow various literary and comic book heroes. The Saint, James Bond and Batman are just a start. For me a hero doesn’t need super powers, a hero is someone who regardless of the effects on themselves or those close to them, put other people and their needs first. They may not have much themselves, but their fundamental goal is to try and help others usually no matter what the cost is to them personally.

My real life hero is one of these people, his back story, of striving, working from a very young age. With barely any education and just his determination and belief in helping other people. Is a real story. This man went out of his way, spent most of his wealth, in helping others to have the best life possible at times even though when it was detrimental to those closest to him. He never moaned, never asked for anything. I have spent all my life looking up to this person, admiring him, loving him, wishing I was half the person he was.

Time takes its toll on all of us. That's the difference between real heroes and fictional heroes. In fiction they can be reinvented, timelines changed, even backstories rewritten to enable modern audiences to admire these selfless people. 

In reality it’s not so easy, time does take its toll, the constant selfless acts drains ones energy, health and finances. The support systems around the heroes also fall apart. Where would Batman be without Alfred? Where would Bond be without Q? When those systems that supported you fail, then what? What does the hero do? Does he give up or look and search to find another?

The problem is when we have spent our lives with these heroes, and there support systems. We know Alfred, we know Q. To then have an unknown takeover surely will leave us wondering will they be capable of helping our hero when he needs it. Do they have the dedication and love to support the hero?

For me my hero is going through such a transition and need. From my perspective it hurts like hell. Everything I've known and loved about that person comes tumbling down. You realise the hero isn’t, wasn't ever infallible. You realise the hero can only be such with support from those closest to him. 

In looking at our heroes we often forget the people behind them. Who silently, supported and equipped them for their deeds, always in the background. Now that person behind my hero is gone the question I have to ask myself will the new person be as selfless and allow the hero to still be the man he is.  Or perhaps I'm wrong time and age have taken their toll perhaps my hero just needs to rest. He has done his duty. He no longer needs to be a hero.

It doesn’t change the person he was/is. His deeds and acts of selflessness remain in my mind. I know what he did, as do others. Can I really, as the clock ticks on not just let him have time to be just a man? With his deeds he taught me what to do and how to behave. Left me in his past an identity and vision to follow surely that's more than enough from any hero?




Comments

Popular Posts