Self Isolation 101



The world has gone in to lockdown, with covid, social isolation is on everyones mind. Some people are really strugling. Hey you welcome to my world!

I am a fifty three year old, man with a rare muscular degenrative disease, that changes and causes regular issues. I get to just about managing and another issue comes up. I can't move, permanent power wheelchair user, i can just about type (for now) even my vocal cords cant take excessive use. On top of it all I'm dyselxic (so writing isnt easy). I would say in effect i have been social isolating for the last five years, some caused by my illnesses and some caused by society.

I live at home and manage (with the help of my wonderful daughter, a team of seven carers who are with me 24/7. And believe me no matter how wonderful they are i still crave and ask for them to leave the room, so i can have me time.

The isolation part comes partialy from my disabilities and due to weak immune system. Ensuring that any one with the slightest illness, temp, cough or splutter stays away from me. Another part is just the planing, going anywhere requires serious planning, transport, medical equipment, the right staff, bathroom stops/facilities all have an effect. The final problem is that even 10 years after the Equality Act  a lot of places just arn't accessable for people like me.

Sounds pretty grim right, not at all, in fact im very lucky. It takes planing and some work, but i still have a very busy fun life. The secret for me is all about having a purpose. For me its getting up every morning (or being dragged out of my bed, which isnt easy, mostly because i love my bed). My purpose is trying to help others, putting others first or trying to. I've spent the last 12 years learning and developing knowledge in Equality, Disability Rights, and Benefits. Mostly for my self but realising others dont have the experiance or understanding of how the minutiae of the law works (thanks to 17 previous years working with consumer law) I now run a free voluntary advice service for other people in similar situations. Its Sunday and already i've advised and assisted three people. As long as other need me i feel i have a purpose and this makes me want to get up.

Ita not all work though, i get great enjoyment from many things, hearing from my children is at the top of my list, then there's reading. How lucky are we that thousands of emminent important people have left, there thoughts and ideas in print. If your not a fan of reading then take to the net or tv thousands of places to visit, thousands of things to see and learn all from where your sat. Its mind blowing. 

Winter is particualrly bad for me, not being able to move means i get cold very easily, so I tend to be stuck in then.  Come summer i love my garden, just sitting listening to birds, watching my pots of beautiful flowers scattered around my little back yard (all planted by my carers).  Even sitting by my front door (the sound of sitting by the dock of the bay playing through my head with tbe words changed to my situation) "watching the people roll away, and watching them roll back again".

Other little things i do, is have date nights for myself ( something i did before my disabilty) cook or get myself a decent meal, a good movie and then book before bed. Me time. I try to learn a differnt subject or read up on something different, the flavour of this month is stoicism. Those bearded,  white sheet wearing old blokes, now they new introspection and they still have a lot to teach us.

I do get bad times to, usually down to being ill, and feeling like i cant breath, or getting tired after hours and hours of coughing, but it does go. At time like this meditation helps, even praying. My favourite meditation is of a little cove in a Menorca with me snorkling and watching the fish. At real bad times i visit there and wrap myself in the warm water.

Also exercise is very important. Ive started a new regime, just 15 mins a day stretching with the help of my carers (who seem to delight in the idea that they may be allowed to cause me some pain.

Thinking about it or even writting about it, makes me realise its not bad, i still have my freedom, i still get to make choices, i still have great days.

Like Nelson Mandela who really  knows  self isolation.   And at the end of it he came out being a better person.

I guess self isolation is like anything its only bad if we think it or make it so. Perhaps its not about space at all, its about our mind set. For the majority of us, yes our bodies can be restricted but never our mind. I remember thinking when Steven Hawkings died. Here's a man whos body has been imprisoned yet he managed to take us all through a journey of distance, through space and time. So where will you travel today?  Whats your purpose? If you don't have one perhaps this is just the time to pursue or find one. Perhaps you have something to give, you never know you may have the knowledge, or the right words that could mean something or everything to that one person.

Comments

Popular Posts