What does 2023 hold for people who use Care Services


 Christmas is over, for me it was a quiet one, with my daughter, who cooked the best Christmas meal I've ever had. I hope you too, all enjoyed your day with your families and close ones.

As the New Year sneaks upon us we look to other traditions, such as looking forward. We often make resolutions (that often will fall flat within weeks), but the intention is there. Without the right intentions can we ever move forward?

As humans it's almost built in us to fail, over and over again until we get it right. Out of these failures we often find sparks that need fanning to a flame, which will eventually heat us and keep us warm.

I'll be honest, after nearly 20 years in the field of advocacy, I'm tired of feeling that there isn’t much movement forward as I'd hoped. I ask every year why do people have to though go through unnecessary issues, which to me, often occur through organisations not listening to people? It's quite simple… it really IS all about the people.

Though within this despondency I have seen sparks, that have the real potential to come to life. The three most prominent for me is through the NHS personalisation process, in its third or fourth year. Growing from strength to strength, with new fresh ideas which are being produced with the help of people with lived experience. This has so much potential.

However, for this to really work, there has to be focus on two things, the first is letting people lead on issues they know about so it is truly coproduced and not just one way, which is how it feels at the moment.

Secondly, which I can see happening, is the local personalisation. Leads working with national to embed the new process and ideas, whilst also involving the peer leaders at local levels.

The other potential I've seen is the amazing vision and perseverance of the people running social care future. They have been mentioned and worked on a number of reports and organisations to try and embed this wonderful vision in to organisations.

Again, this is very people led and the breath of their involvement with key reports and organisations must be applauded and seen as a very positive step.

For me, as I'm a more practical person, I would love to see some of these develop into proper plans, as to how these things can be brought to life. I look forward to following and seeing the potential.

The last year for me has involved working in partnership with some real grassroots people and advocacy organisations. All working very hard to be heard, all working without renumeration supporting each other, providing advice and support. It really is amazing to see. Without them constantly reminding government and organisations what people really want and need, it is being said loud and clear.

One other organisation I want to give a mention to is Tlap and the amazing work they to are doing with social care, and the positive movements they've made. Only one thing I'd like to see from them, as I ask every year…evaluation. Its great to see commitment of certain aspects made by care services, but without evaluation how do we know wether they are doing what they say?

Generally I see that the next two years will be quite positive, outgoing governments or when elections start, government tend to relax spending and offer better services to people, in the hope (and it happens every four years) that people will forget what they've been through. People really need to remember this.

So let me change what I've said…I'm tired not of not seeing light, the light is there it needs fanning, and being brought together so the heat becomes so intense that change occurs. What I'm tired of is the element of greed at the top end of society. That even with all the economic, social and damage that's been done to organisations like our NHS and Social Services they still see that running things for profit is the way to go.

For me, it'll never be about money, it's about change in attitudes, it's about caring and sharing and every one working together for the benefit not of self but each others. The organisations I've mentioned above all have one thing in common, that real people are involved and put first. That's why I know they are the real ones who have the pottential to fan the flames of change and make positive changes for all people.

In ending, let's ensure we work together more to support and nourish each other, and keep working at bringing people power to the front. It is our life, our country.

Comments

Popular Posts