Direction of Travel


Do you have a direction of travel? Is it constant? Do you get to where you want to get to? When do you know you’ve arrived? Then what, do you go somewhere different? Or do you go back to where you’ve started?  

These questions I’ve carried with me through life. Often discussing them with friends, family and colleagues. There’s no real answer that’s right. Only a satisfaction in knowing that you’ve tried to examine your life. As I once read an unexamined life is a life unlived. To date I’ve came up with my own analogy on my direction of travel through life.

I’ve always imagined we are all on one big railway, many trains, and many stations, with people all travelling to get somewhere. Some people are seasoned travellers others not so. We interact with passengers throughout the journey, some people will be close to us and we may chat, others will be on the same carriage, we may smile at them notice them but not really appreciate their connection with us. Others are on the same train yet we don’t even know they're there. 

Over the journey people will change, some passengers will get off and others get on. Where all trying to get somewhere. Where isn’t important. It’s the journey and how you enjoy the trip that counts.

Are you the type of person who’s busy working away not to notice all the life in the carriage around you. Or are you reading a novel or the paper glancing about every now and again to look at your fellow passengers or the views. Perhaps you’re conversing with the person next to you revelling in your co-existence. Or perhaps the person sat behind listening in and thinking how boring people’s lives are. Everyone is caught up in their own thoughts.

However not everyone is travelling though, some people are needed to keep the travel system going, cleaners, drivers, ticket collectors etc. Everyone is important on the train, passengers, and workers, all have our jobs to do, parts to play.

I often see myself on the train pushing the food trolley. Sometimes people will see me as a pain, as they need to get past me to go the toilet, or back to their seat. Others look forward to seeing me to get a brief refreshment or snack. I try wherever possible to carry what the passengers need and try to ensure they get a slight respite on their journey. That’s all. Most people want even see me, they see the trolley but that’s ok. That’s my job. That’s my purpose. It’s not good or bad. As long as I know someone on that train needs a drink I am useful. 

My direction of travel, well it’s forwards and backwards up and down the aisles I don’t even know where the train is going or really care. I’m on it and I have a job to do. Somewhere to be. 

How do you see yourself on the journey? Are you someone who facilitates the travel? Or are you a traveller? Are you enjoying the journey? If not stop look for the trolley person. Take a drink, or break for five minutes, breath and reflect. It won’t mean you’ll get there any quicker but just by stopping and thinking you may see a smile across the aisle, a  good view from the window or here a conversation that makes you ponder. Sometimes it’s these things that make the journey enriching and worthwhile. Don’t worry about getting there, there are people around you trying to do their best to get you to the destination, make the most of the journey. 

Comments

Popular Posts