Us/We before I





I remember a fundamental shift in society, where in the mid 80’s Us or We was pushed aside for I or me. Personal wealth and growth was more important than a social consciousness, that we are all connected. In order for us to be successful all it takes is for us to think of I. What can I achieve? What can I earn? Regardless of those around me.

To me this is the fundamental problem with most of life's issues these days.  The thinking of I'm more important than society as a whole, has fundamentally changed the world we live in.

Whereas, I wants, and stores wealth and gratitude for self, thinks of more personal satisfaction, as long as I'm ok so what? The We/US model is grateful and sharing, appreciates what they have and thinks of the common good and need.

So how do you go about shifting a major focus in the world from the I to US? Particularly when you think society may be about to change, were landed with Brexit, and austerity, politcans not following laws and damn the venrable and elderly as long as profit is made.. Just the sort of hey I matter, you don't, i don't want you coming over here and stealing our jobs. Anything different to my way of living or lifestyle is unacceptable. Both very much I world thought processes.

In all the work I see coming over the next few years from the ideas and thinking out there is a common theme a theme based on self-care. The government's policy of don't rely on us to fund anything.  You are on your own. Yet the same people in government and society will encourage us use the words that fundamentally is a deep rooted need. “Community connectors”, “community services”, “Volunteer supporters”. People really want a community based system a caring system, but are not willing to pay for it, or put the effort in to achieve it. Even recently the talk around personlisation is what you must do for yourself. It one policy I do believe in but not at the cost of others.

That’s the crux of the matter, effort. We all want an easy life, we think having means achieving. But achieving what, peace, happiness? These are things that can’t be bought they have to be earnt. In order to do that it takes firstly a commitment then an effort. An effort to do something, however small a daily effort to help someone else.
So tomorrow morning when you wake up, don’t start with ughh work. How about we start with, let’s see what good I can do today for someone else. It doesn’t have to be big, just small things. A cheery hello, an impromptu coffee for a friend or colleague. By that big issue. Go see that person you promised to stay in touch with. Give an hour of time to a volunteer organisation. Say hello to next door. Slowly but surely we can bring back the us.

Remember if you want something to grow you need to plant a seed. Every great oak starts with a simple small acorn that in itself is shed by the tree. Thus to reach and spread in to the sky to achieve the us, we do not need to move mountains we need to give just a little of ourselves back.

Comments

Popular Posts